Yield: 6 servings
• 1/2 pound lean ground turkey (I use 99% lean)
• 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 4 ounce can diced green chiles
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• Black pepper to taste
• 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
• 1/2 cup frozen corn
• 1/4 cup jarred salsa
• 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• Cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Spray a large skillet generously with cooking
spray and heat over medium-high heat.
2. When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and
cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
3. Add in the ground turkey and minced garlic and
cook until the meat is almost cooked through,
breaking it up into crumbles with a spoon as it
4. Stir in all the spices and the diced green chiles,
cooking for another minute.
5. Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted
tomatoes and quinoa, stirring until everything is
6. When the mixture starts to bubble add in the
water, cover the skillet with a lid and lower the
heat to medium-low.
7. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the
quinoa is cooked, it should still have a slight bite
to it, but not be hard and crunchy.
8. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover
with the lid cooking until the cheese is melted.
9. Serve as is, in tortillas for tacos, or on top of your favorite greens.
Adapted from Spoonful of Flavor