So I am integrating grains out of my nutrition plan for the time being to see how I respond and I combined literally four different recipes I found on Pinterest to what I had on hand. I made this on Monday and reheated the second portion today and it was just as good! It has Paleo and Whole 30 compliant ingredients!
- 1/2 cup whole raw almonds
- 3/4 cup whole raw cashews
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 tbsp clarified butter or olive oil
- 1 medium apple, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 c. – 2 cups unsweetened almond milk ( you could use coconut milk)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a quart mason jar, add the nuts and coconut flakes. Add enough filtered water to the jar to cover nuts and coconut by one inch. Add a pinch of salt and cover. Allow the nuts to soak at least 7-8 hours or overnight. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
- Once soaking time is completed, drain the nuts and coconut flakes in a colander; making sure to rinse them well until water runs clear.
- Add the nuts and coconut flakes to the bowl of a food processor. Then, add the banana (break the banana in pieces and add to the top of the nuts).
- Pulse the nuts and banana mixture until it forms a fine nut meal, making sure to stop and scrape down the bowl as needed for an even texture. Then, remove bowl from food processor and set aside. (Please note: The more you pulse the less texture your oatmeal will have.)
- Add oil or butter to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped apple and nutmeg to the pan and sauté the apples until they begin to soften.
- Next, add the almond milk, cinnamon and raisins. Then add the banana-nut meal mixture. Stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Bring the “cereal” to a gentle simmer and cook for about 5-6 minutes until it’s thick and creamy. Cook a little longer for softer texture. Makes four servings.
For more recipes and fitness tips join THE INSPIRE TRIBE FITNESS COMMUNITY HERE.